Need to Register?

Currently you can register through a Gmail, Facebook, or OpenID account. This helps us avoid spam. Click an icon below! :)

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Star Wars - The Force Awakens

edited October 2015 in General

Hyped?

Got my tickets for opening day in 3D IMAX.

Might buy a BB8....
http://www.sphero.com/starwars

Comments

• oh so you helped break the internet

anyone else at least mildly disturbed by the white genocide filth being spewed out of peoples cracks.
  • A friend of mine bought out a theater on the 17th of December and got permission to do an early screening. I will let you know...
  • "anyone else at least mildly disturbed by the white genocide filth being spewed out of peoples cracks. "

What the fuck are you talking about?
  • edited October 2015
    Kikhan is referring to what is best described as the perfect 4chan prank - an incredibly obvious bit of trollbait that is utterly transparent in premise yet being taken seriously.

Basically a very small number of people are (ostensibly) protesting the "blackwashing" of pop culture. Marvel comics has seen a lot of non-caucasian characters take over the mantle of various heroes (Nick Fury, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, The Hulk) and now the assumed male protagonist of this film is black. So there is the requisite protest movement, boycott push, etc etc.

It is, of course, a transparent pile of nonsense which nonetheless attracts genuine attention from the worst people from all camps.
  • ah tbh wasn't worth my time to delve in past any headline i've seen. certainly havent visited 4chan in like a decade so now it makes better trolly sense.
  • Given the way most everything on the internet is written these days, I would suggest that the headline of an online article is easily the most useless element of a story. Context is pretty important.
  • People (read Republicans in America) are pissed about the new black Captain America, too.

Who cares...
  • Does that mean we get a White Black Panther?
  • edited October 2015
    > People (read Republicans in America) are pissed about the new black Captain America, too.

From what I gather, they instead are upset that Hydra/"The Bad Guys" have been replaced by white rednecks. They see the comic portraying their views as being evil and not just backwards. Stuff like white supremacy, anti-immigration, pro-gun, and anti-gay marriage. They see their viewpoints from a "it's not evil" perspective, they are protecting the country from being weakened or diluted with "lazy" or "inferior" people, more nationalistic/protectionist than openly racist.

Now they are ignoring the murder and random shit the bad guys also do in the comics, and still manage to self-identify with them
  • They see their viewpoints from a "it's not evil" perspective, they are protecting the country from being weakened or diluted with "lazy" or "inferior" people, more nationalistic/protectionist than openly racist.
    Inb4GodwinsLaw.

Although in this case its pretty apt.

What's surprising though is that people act as though Comics being a lens through which to focus on social progress is somehow new. Superman is widely recognized for having taken on the KKK, and done actual real irrecoverable damage to the organization. The "Sons of the Serpent" group, the current villains du jour, showed up way back in the 60s. The X-Men have never been anything but an obvious allegory for persecuted minorities.

Not that I am going to sit here and claim to be a Marvel / DC apologist. There are a LOT of problems with the way these titles have handled characters and social issues over the years. Not that it should be the job of fucking comic books about spandex clad superheroes to drive society to better itself, but I guess we need all the help we can get. Regardless - you'd have to be a few gems short of an Infinity Gauntlet to look at comic books tackling race and social issues and feel surprised. But I guess we are talking about the Trump 2016 demographic here.
  • Got my tickets for the 21st in IMAX, only because I don't want to deal with the normal opening day clusterfuck
  • Though I want to go see it opening week, I think I might just wait out the hordes of people and see it when I can and feel like I'm going to enjoy the show with out people breathing down my neck and chewing loud obnoxious candy beside me.
  • ^ done the first week of things way to much even since getting the private screenings before releases. now im old and want people off my lawn
  • I am tempted to go to a midnight showing... There is a huge (for a small western Maryland town) event here that night, and I am good friends with the owners of the theater. I am debating going. I have been to the first showing of every other Star Wars movie before... See no reason to end that streak.