Need to Register?

Currently you can register through a Gmail, Facebook, or OpenID account. This helps us avoid spam. Click an icon below! :)

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Steam Controller / Steam Link

So I picked up these things on release day. I've only played with them a bit, but I am wondering if anyone else has tried them out.

Initial thoughts:

Steam Link is so laggy for me that it's effectively unusable. I'd estimate the lag is around 150-200ms. This could be a number of things, including my wifi overhead (they recommend wired, haven't tried that) and my TV itself. I may just use an HDMI cable straight into my tv from my computer, since long HDMI cables aren't too expensive.

The Steam Controller isn't all that it's cracked up to be. This may be influenced by trying it with the steam link, but I loaded up Portal to give it a shot and I found the controls to be pretty bad.

Overall, I'm not impressed. I plan to try the steam controller more heavily, but I would guess that steam link is just not worth it for me.

Comments

• Yeah I'll be honest I'm struggling a bit with the Steam Controller, but it seems to be all about how well designed the profile for the game is. I've used it for Vermintide and actually found I preferred it to the keyboard and mouse, but I'm struggling with Fallout 4.

I think I'll keep plugging away at it, as it's such a departure from a traditional controller that it's tricky when your brain is programmed for it to function in one way only.