Need to Register?

Currently you can register through a Gmail, Facebook, or OpenID account. This helps us avoid spam. Click an icon below! :)

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Comments

• Though I hear a lot of good things about the Vive, like the Oculus, I'm not shelling out that money until I hear some more concrete reviews or even try it for that matter.
  • I've spent my money on dumber things, and I've been pretty excited about VR for a while now. Yeah, it might end up being the equivalent of the Kinect in terms of how much use it got, but ... meh.
  • If you're willing to accept that, then you're good. I was okay with that for the price of the Oculus dev kit (came out to $400ish CAD at the time) but $800 USD puts it firmly out of my comfort zone for buying an unknown.

That's also coloured by my mixed experience with my use of the Rift, in fairness. It's definitely been a bit of a 'Kinect' for me.
  • If anyone is interested in seeing how their machine will fare: http://store.staging.steampowered.com/app/323910/
  • I don't want to know how poorly my system will do.

Seriously.
  • It is definitely out of my range for impulse early adopter buy, BUT I'd love to 'mooch' and try it sometime if you do end up getting Epi. :)
  • Yea I'll see how easy it is to bring it out. The whole full-room experience may make that a bit tough. I'm still trying to see how that might work in my living room, or if I have to set it up somewhere else.
  • I have a calendar appointment set for Monday. Lets see how it goes. Not looking forward to the exchange rate.
  • *cough* invite us over *cough* ;)
  • edited February 2016
    I got 10.9 (out of 11, of course) on the perf test. I7-5820k + 980ti
  • 4.7GB Test, holy fuck!
  • edited February 2016
    Hard to argue with that.

• edited February 2016
    4.7GB Test, holy fuck!
    Yeah I read they leaked a boatload of Portal/L4D and HL3 content in that bundle. The suggestion seems to be that HL3 will be VR and include a portal gun. Of course, that's probably obvious - but on the other side, there have been very little rumblings out of Valve for the last year or two. So here's hoping.

• $1149 Canadian.
  • And pre-orders are open. Theoretically. If you can get their site to load.
  • edited February 2016
    And... now they're out of stock. I'm not sure how you can be out of stock on a pre-order, but they are.

Edit: I think they changed the shipping and invalidated my old order. At first it was $5 shipping, now it's $65.
  • Ordered. $1371.82 taxes and shipping included. Bleh.
  • I really really want to pre-order, but not knowing what racing devs are supporting this (mainly Assetto Corsa), is hard for me to pull the trigger on it. I guess I can wait.
  • Got 8.3 on the performance tool.

With i7 3770K, 8GB Ram, and Asus Strix 980
  • edited March 2016
    Tool claims I'm ready for April.
  • Got 8.3 on the performance tool.

With i7 3770K, 8GB Ram, and Asus Strix 980
    Number seems a little low for your hardware. Do you have capture software running, or maybe a stats overlay (like in MSI Afterburner)?
  • Someone should pre-order one of these. I really want to try one out.
  • Number seems a little low for your hardware. Do you have capture software running, or maybe a stats overlay (like in MSI Afterburner)?

I did the first time I ran it, and scored something like 9.1, re-ran it on a clean desktop, and scored a 10.9
  • Re Hololens... I'm curious about that too, but I also am watching MagicLeap. I have a feeling they're doing nearly the same thing. They've still mostly stealthy in what they're doing - and they've raised $1.39 Billion. Which I'm pretty sure is the first time in history a company has raised well over a billion dollars in venture capital before even announcing a product. They just closed a $800M funding round in February.

It may well be that VR itself will become obsolete in a few years with AR.
  • It may well be that VR itself will become obsolete in a few years with AR.
    I don't think so - AR serves a different purpose than VR does. Not that I don't see myself gaming in both, I just don't think AR will be the same experience at all. AR Has a lot more practical applications though, from military to health, to even consumer.

VR I think will always be better when it comes to immersion, putting you somewhere you are not.
  • i scored just above incomer with a similar system
    i7-4770, Asus Strix GTX980, 32gb 1866mhz DDR3
  • sweet jesus Prodigy posted on usdn.ca

SOUND THE ALARMS!
  • edited March 2016
    Mostly for Xo and others that tried the DK2....

Short version: he hasn't tried the Oculus production version, but said that the Vive was substantially better than the DK2 (mentions it around 4 minutes in).

• edited March 2016
    I'm definitely curious to try yours when you get it and see the difference. With that said, my lack of use of the DK2 isn't really about it 'not being good enough', but more that VR is awesome, at first, but isn't something I apparently have much interest in doing every day.

I am happy to wait for a game or use-case that really sells me. It's not like my DK2 is going to stop working, I already own it, and only paid around $400 CAD for it all told. I can keep trying things out as they come out on the DK2. When something catches me, then I'll re-examine.

Basically, I'm not seeing a reason to jump to a Vive or a CV1 until I see a 'killer app', especially at their price points.
  • edited March 2016
    Once it arrives there will be a thing here. When depends on my travel schedule. :p

There is a LOT of speculation that the killer app will be Portal 3 or HL3 (or HL3 merging portal storyline and portal gun).
  • livestream it!
  • This will be the first accessory for my VIVE

• Best Work out apparatus ever. Man I'd get tired in about 2 mins though.
  • This would be better in Arma 3 or something, where they actually have a head on a body, he moves his head in BF4 and his body moves too.
  • A review of it.

Looking forward to this...
  • edited March 2016
    I've looked at that, but so far I'm gonna hold off until someone starts backing it from a dev/studio perspective. I'm concern that they're too early in the dev cycle - whereas VR has been screwed around with for ~15 years before tech and supporting tech is to the point where it's good.

I want this though - and gloves. But that's one area I'm gonna hold off until they're either not third-party, or at least endorsed by one of the VR devs (Oculus or Valve).
  • edited March 2016
    There is a LOT of speculation that the killer app will be Portal 3 or HL3 (or HL3 merging portal storyline and portal gun).
    Depends on your definition of 'killer app'. If they want Portal 3/HL3 to work as a regular FPS game as well, I doubt it'll be any more or less good than any other FPS that's been adapted for headsets. My experience with them was ho-hum, at best. Maybe an omni-directional treadmill will make the difference, but I'm not holding my breath.