These are some thoughts I originally sent to Wade (but cleaned up slightly). They are things that might have helped me early on. Please add to it and point anything you think I got wrong.
Situations and Tutorial Videos
I suggest playing the situations (they are like tutorials but more fun) & watching the quick tutorial videos. You'll get some renown that you need to unlock Operators, and it is a decently fun way to learn about the game too.
You want to get 3 attackers and defenders asap. Note that you may need to be quick when selecting them, especially if you purchase popular operators. Being the recruit is not the end of the day though, at least.
What should you buy first? Well, all operators are good in some way, but the following may help:
- Ash or Sledge or anything that appeals to you (I recommend leaving the shields alone until you learn more about the game - Blitz is great though)
- Anything that appeals to you other thank Tachanka
Whenever you unlock a new opeartor, you pretty much always want to have about 300-400 renown available to unlock some attachments (operators without any attachments are a bit gimped).
1) Sites: There is one set of 'american' sites for all operators except for Russians who get their own set. For American sites, I pretty much just recommend the Holographic sites. They have the best reticle and screen real estate used IMO. The APOC 2.5x zoom can be very effective on some weapons once you learn more.
2) Always get the foregrip (or whatever it is called) if available on a weapon. It only reduces recoil and has no downsides right now (there are no other under gun attachments to choose from).
3) Lasers: I only get these for pistols and shotguns because you rarely fire SMGs or rifles unzoomed. Lasers will give your position away easily. For most operators, you can get by for a while without lasers on pistols.
4) Barrel attachments: I get either the flash hider or compensator based on which improves the firing pattern more (it will show a preview image). Silencers can be okay but you may want to learn more about the game before unlocking them.
General Weapon Advice
I think that rifles and sub machine guns are better than shotguns as a default/starter choice. They are just more flexible. But shotguns can be good (especially on Frost, but I assume it will be a while before you unlock her).
If an operator has multiple rifles to chose from, I think you generally want to get the ones with less recoil / more control because a headshot is instant death in Siege. Also, high rates of fire are usually better compare to slower rifles with higher damage IMO. But you'll have to make your own call on that as you learn more. Go with what feels best and gets you the most kills.
That's it. Hope something here helps someone. :)