Need to Register?

Currently you can register through a Gmail, Facebook, or OpenID account. This helps us avoid spam. Click an icon below! :)

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

A Little Guidance, if you would.

edited June 2016 in General
My landlady's kid is building his first gaming pc, he's chosen parts off a site called pcpartpicker.com, or something.

Anyway I said I'd help him build it and though the site supposedly automatically confirms compatibility, I'd liek to run the list by you guys and see if there's any changes you'd make.

Most use is for MMO type games though he does want it able to play current and soon to come out games, and do it well.

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $417.59

ARCTIC Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $19.99

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $229.98

G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (ram got lost, I think was from a US site, I had to shift to Canadian)

PNY CS1311 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $156.10

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $87.35

Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card $574.38

DIYPC Solo-T1-BK ATX Mid Tower Case $54.98

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $244.99

LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer $18.85

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $119.00

Asus PCE-AC68 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $116.99 (seems a bit high to me)

Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan $6.99
(edit for format)

Comments

• Has he already bought this stuff? Because the new Radeon cards are literally around the corner and will be half that price.
  • edited June 2016
    No, nothing has been purchased yet, the purpose of this post is advice exactly such as that. Thanks.
  • So some additional thoughts:

Bang on with the cpu. I'm still running my old 2600k. That k means awesome.

32 GB of RAM is a lot. It's typically cheap and I would never say no to more RAM. But unless you're doing a bunch of virtualization, 16GB is the 'sweet spot'.

I'd recommend a Samsung SSD as opposed to the PNY. The EVO line is competitively priced and have great reliability and performance.

We've already discussed the video card. You definitely want one of the new RX 480 8GB cards. Well, I do anyway. :)

I'm surprised that there's an optical drive here. I'd be willing to bet monies that he never uses it. Ever. But hey, for <20$, I've spent more on worse things.

What's that Windows 10 OEM license all about.. You can buy it retail directly from Microsoft for exactly that price via digital download.

What about a monitor? If he's looking at that he'll need to consider freesync/gsync depending on the video card he chooses as well.

I have no idea as to compatibility on any of this stuff. I would typically just call up Prodigy and make him do this kind of stuff for me. :)
  • kernon asked me to comment... buuuut he said what i would say....

http://www.kinguin.net/ has cheap win10 licenses..
  • k cpu's aren't a huge deal... going i5 or i7 in general is a great cpu... i have a non k 4th gen and its still overkill for what i play and do... if money is a concern go non k... if you wanna be an enthusiast and OC and have some fun then buy a k
  • He has a 4k tv he plans on using as a monitor, I don't think he should have much issue with it, but I'll double check it's specs.
  • Note that a TV is not a monitor no matter how the specs appear to line up.
    Also if he's looking to drive 4k, that might change the recommended video card.
  • Things I will bring up with him.
  • Not going to power 4k, just using the tv as a monitor for now (space issue).