Need to Register?

Currently you can register through a Gmail, Facebook, or OpenID account. This helps us avoid spam. Click an icon below! :)

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Why I Pirate stuff

13»

Comments

• Depends on how you connect. If you have a PS3 you can travel with it. Xbox and Wii you cannot. I believe it explains the process for each system on the website.
  • edited March 2012
    Astanyx said: Depends on how you connect. If you have a PS3 you can travel with it. Xbox and Wii you cannot. I believe it explains the process for each system on the website.
    The XBox works. I am using US Netflix via unblock-us on both my PS3 and my XBox 360.

• Xocet said: The XBox works. I am using US Netflix via unblock-us on both my PS3 and my XBox 360.
    Did you setup a US Netflix account or are you using a Canadian account while 'traveling'
  • edited March 2012
    Fallen said: Did you setup a US Netflix account or are you using a Canadian account while 'traveling'
    I'm using my Canadian account.

Note: I believe you have to have an XBL Gold subscription.
  • PlatooN said: however downloading TV does fall under the same laws as recording it with a vcr/dvr. as long as you are not DISTRIBUTING it.
    I am sure I am wrong but I have to disagree with this plat. Why did nobody in USDN become a Media Lawyey? We shoulda planned this one a decade ago. ANYWAY,

If I am downloading "shitty sitcom here", from an unsanctioned site I would deem it theft. For what you wrote to be true I have to run their stream, record it, but never share it.
  • One thing that pissses me off is the fucking IP blackout by region. I don't have cable and am more than happy to subscribe to MLB TV / NHL TV to watch my sports through my computer / xbox but due to TV contracts they have tons of blackout regions which is stupid.

I know I can subscribe to unblock us but i shouldn't have too, thats one legacy system that needs to go.

• New TED talk related to this: http://www.ted.com/talks/rick_falkvinge_i_am_a_pirate.html

I actually don't like the talk very much. I find the speaker has too large an ego and it's mostly about him. But he does have a few valuable points to make. One quote that sticks out:

"An entrepreneur is tasked with making money given the constraints of society and technology. They do not get to dismantle civil liberties, even if (and perhaps especially if) they can't make money otherwise."

We can and should talk about whether pirating is right or wrong, theft vs copyright infringement, that sort of thing. But we should not allow that to distract us from what I think is really the larger issue.